Brussels rental deal: €584,200 purchase and €3,418/month — sanity check

romy_leases

Property investor
I’m deciding whether to pursue a 2-bed new-build flat in Brussels at €584,200. Expected rent is €3,418 per month, producing the advertised gross yield of roughly 7.0%.

The building looks sound, but vacancy could materially change the result. My model uses eleven months of rent and deducts management, routine maintenance and a reserve for one larger repair. I still suspect the reserve is light.

Which Brussels-specific cost am I most likely missing—insurance, property tax, non-recoverable building charges or something else? Also, what net yield would compensate you for the vacancy and tenant-turnover risk?
 
Before refining the expense side, challenge the €3,418 rent. Is that supported by signed leases or merely an agent’s expectation, and does it include parking, furniture, utilities or building charges? A small error there overwhelms tweaks to the repair reserve. I would also separate owner-only common charges, insurance, property tax and management costs rather than using one broad percentage.
 
Is the €584,200 just the purchase price, or are you calculating returns on the full amount needed to complete the acquisition? The headline yield uses only the stated price. I’d also want the latest building budget and a clear split between costs chargeable to the tenant and those that remain with the owner.
 
On your eleven-month assumption, annual rent becomes €37,598. Divided by €584,200, that is about 6.4% before management, maintenance, insurance, tax and building costs. So the deal is already some distance below the 7.0% headline before considering financing or acquisition expenses.
 
One month of vacancy is a useful first pass, but turnover is lumpy. You might collect twelve months for several years, then lose more than one month between tenants while also paying for cleaning, minor works and reletting. I’d model a stable-tenancy case and a turnover year separately rather than assuming the same vacancy deduction every year.
 
I disagree slightly with calling eleven months conservative. It can be overly harsh during a long tenancy yet not harsh enough in a bad turnover year, as Kenji says. The bigger uncertainty is whether €3,418 is genuinely repeatable for this particular 2-bed. New-build status may reduce early routine repairs, but it does not eliminate common-area costs or future capital work.
 
Fair distinction. My next step would be to request evidence for the rent, the building’s current and projected charges, the relevant property-tax figure, an insurance indication and a management quote. Then run three cases: full rent, one vacant month, and a turnover case with lower rent plus reletting costs. If borrowing, repeat them at a higher financing cost as well.
 
There is no useful net-yield target without knowing the financing and what alternatives you have. I would focus on whether cash flow remains positive after all owner costs and debt payments in Kenji’s turnover case. If the purchase only works at €3,418 with near-perfect occupancy, the apparent 7.0% yield is not providing much protection against an optimistic rent estimate.
 
Back
Top