Buy at 4.26% or wait for cheaper finance on an Oslo 4-bed?

crane.real

Homeowner
Established
Founding Member
I’m considering an Oslo 4-bed at NOK 2,033,000 with mortgage finance at 4.26%. I can afford the payment now, but I’m unsure whether to buy or wait for rates to fall. Cheaper borrowing could simply bring more buyers back before local inventory improves and push prices higher.

What stress tests would you use here? I’m particularly concerned about monthly affordability, rate resets, refinancing assumptions and resale risk rather than trying to predict both rates and prices perfectly.
 
I’d test the purchase without assuming any refinancing at all. Can you still manage if the rate rises by two percentage points, your other costs increase, and the property takes longer than expected to sell? Then run a separate case where rates fall but the home’s value is flat. If both are tolerable, the decision depends less on forecasting the market.
 
What loan-to-value would you start with, and how long do you realistically expect to keep the property? Those two facts change the resale calculation. A small deposit plus a short holding period leaves much less room for selling costs or a price decline than a lower loan-to-value and a long stay.
 
I wouldn’t accept the premise that lower rates must push this particular property up. Demand may rise, but sellers may also list more homes, and a 4-bed can behave differently from smaller Oslo properties. Compare inventory and competing sales in the same local segment, over a clearly defined period, rather than treating the whole city as one market.
 
Agreed that the segment matters, but waiting is still a market bet. The useful comparison is not today’s payment against a hypothetical cheaper mortgage. It is buying now versus renting or staying put during the waiting period, including interest, principal, arrangement fees and the cash retained in each case. Otherwise the lower future rate gets all the attention while the cost of waiting disappears.
 
Also inspect what happens if your plans change before the expected holding period. Are there early-repayment costs, and can the loan be moved to another property? The answer may depend on the mortgage terms and Norwegian lender practice, so I’d get it confirmed rather than assume portability. A slightly lower headline rate can be less valuable if exiting or changing the loan is expensive.
 
One caveat to the stress-test approach: passing it only shows that the loan is survivable, not that NOK 2,033,000 is a sensible price. I’d keep the valuation question separate. Look at genuinely comparable 4-bed properties, then model a resale below your purchase price. If that would trap you because the remaining loan is too high, the loan-to-value is doing more work than the rate forecast.
 
Put the scenarios into one sheet: current 4.26% terms, a higher-rate reset, a lower-rate refinance with fresh fees, and an early sale at a lower price. Use the same comparison period for every case and include a monthly buffer for ownership costs rather than spending up to the lender’s maximum. I’d make the decision based on the least comfortable plausible case, while treating any future refinance as an upside rather than part of the affordability plan.
 
Back
Top