Buy at 4.92% or wait on a C$702,000 property?

bakesAndGarden

Homeowner
Established
I’m deciding whether to buy a C$702,000 property now with financing at 4.92%, or wait in the hope that rates fall. My concern is that cheaper borrowing could bring buyers back before local inventory improves, pushing prices higher.

The purchase is affordable today, but that alone does not settle the refinance and resale risks. What stress tests would you run rather than trying to predict both rates and prices? If you would wait—or made the opposite decision around this price—what would tip it?
 
I would start with the payment at 4.92%, then test whether the household budget still works at a meaningfully higher rate when the loan resets. Also test a period with reduced income and no quick refinance available. If those scenarios leave a decent cash buffer, today’s known price and rate may be preferable to betting on two unknowns.
 
What is the comparison period, and what loan-to-value would you have after the down payment? The headline rate is not enough. Fixed versus variable structure, arrangement fees, early-repayment terms and the expected holding period could all change which option is actually cheaper.
 
Waiting could backfire if more buyers appear and the right property becomes harder to secure, but a rate cut does not guarantee that outcome. Owners who postponed selling may add inventory at the same time, and the local supply picture may matter more than the national rate narrative.

Check recent new-listing volume and competing interest in this particular property before treating a higher future price as inevitable.
 
Compare complete scenarios rather than 4.92% against an imagined lower rate. For buying now, include the current payment, arrangement fees and likely carrying costs. For waiting, include continued housing costs, extra savings accumulated, and the possibility that either prices or rates move against you. Use the same time period for both columns.
 
How long could you realistically keep the property? Resale risk is much more important if a move might be necessary soon. A lower future rate will not help much if you must sell into a weak local market before transaction and financing costs have been absorbed.
 
Portability deserves attention too, but I would not treat it as a guaranteed escape route. The exact conditions can depend on the lender, the replacement property and the local jurisdiction. Ask what happens if you move, refinance elsewhere, make a large early repayment or sell before the agreed term ends.
 
The phrase “I can afford it today” needs unpacking. Does that mean the lender approves it, or that the monthly affordability remains comfortable after all regular housing costs while you continue saving? I’d want the second definition, plus cash left after completion rather than putting every available dollar into the purchase.
 
One addition to my earlier question: separate payment shock from rate-reset risk. A manageable initial payment does not prove the balance will be easy to refinance later. Test a lower property valuation, a higher renewal rate and no improvement in income. That combination is deliberately uncomfortable, which is why it is useful.
 
Waiting has option value. It gives you time to improve the down payment and loan-to-value, learn whether inventory changes, and compare more properties. The cost is that the specific property may disappear and financing may not improve. I would wait only if that extra flexibility has a clear purpose, not simply because rates might fall.
 
There is also a middle ground between rushing and sitting out indefinitely: set a maximum all-in monthly amount and a maximum purchase price now. If this property fits both without relying on a future refinance, proceed with the evaluation. If it only works because you expect cheaper money later, the C$702,000 price is probably too aggressive for your risk tolerance.
 
I agree with the stress testing, but I would not assume the harshest scenario must feel painless. That standard could keep someone waiting forever. The better question is whether a bad scenario is survivable without a forced sale, and whether the probability and consequences are acceptable to you.
 
Ask for a written comparison of the available financing choices using the same balance and comparison period. Include every arrangement fee, any restrictions on extra payments, early-repayment consequences and portability conditions. A nominally lower rate can lose its advantage if the fee is high or the product is a poor match for your likely timeline.
 
My disagreement is with making the C$702,000 price the fixed point. If the property is only comfortable under optimistic refinance assumptions, the answer may be neither “buy now” nor “wait for rates,” but “offer less or choose a cheaper property.” Price is the part of this decision you can attempt to control today.
 
The practical decision rule seems straightforward: buy only if 4.92% works with today’s income, leaves reserves, and remains survivable under a higher reset rate and weaker resale value. Wait if improving the down payment or loan-to-value materially strengthens that position. Either way, do not make lower future rates essential to the plan.
 
Back
Top