The rate saving from waiting could be swallowed by a more competitive purchase. If lower borrowing costs bring buyers back while London supply stays tight, the £838,500 property may not become cheaper overall.
I can afford the quoted 6.17% payment, but that does not settle the decision. Buying fixes the purchase price, while the later rate, refinancing options and timing of any sale remain uncertain. I want to stress-test a higher reset and a situation where remortgaging offers little benefit or is unavailable.
I am also comparing the cost over the likely holding period, including arrangement fees, early-repayment charges and portability. What assumptions would you use for that downside test without relying on a prediction that rates or prices will move in the helpful direction?
I can afford the quoted 6.17% payment, but that does not settle the decision. Buying fixes the purchase price, while the later rate, refinancing options and timing of any sale remain uncertain. I want to stress-test a higher reset and a situation where remortgaging offers little benefit or is unavailable.
I am also comparing the cost over the likely holding period, including arrangement fees, early-repayment charges and portability. What assumptions would you use for that downside test without relying on a prediction that rates or prices will move in the helpful direction?