Buy near Zurich at 6.40%, or wait and risk higher prices?

ari.brooks

Homeowner
Established
I’m considering a CHF 180,400 property near Zurich and can afford the purchase at the offered 6.40% mortgage rate. Waiting for cheaper finance sounds attractive, but lower rates could bring buyers back before local inventory improves and push prices higher.

Rather than trying to predict both variables, what stress tests would you use? I’m especially concerned about monthly affordability, refinancing and resale risk. Completed examples from the Zurich area would be more useful than another headline.
 
I’d separate the decision into price risk and financing risk. First test whether you could carry the actual loan if the rate stayed at 6.40% for the whole comparison period. Then test a future refinance at the same rate and at a higher rate—not only the hoped-for lower one. If the purchase works only after a cheap refinance, it doesn’t really work today.
 
One missing number is your loan-to-value. CHF 180,400 is the purchase price, but the stress result will be very different depending on the deposit. Also compare total borrowing cost over a fixed period, including arrangement fees, rather than comparing rates alone. How long do you realistically expect to keep the property?
 
I’m not convinced lower rates would automatically produce an equal rise in prices. Some buyers would return, but sellers might also become more willing to list or move. The property’s condition and exact local demand could matter more than the general Zurich narrative, especially at this price. I would not pay today’s price plus an assumed future competition premium without evidence from comparable completed sales.
 
Agreed that the relationship isn’t automatic. My point is that waiting creates two bets: that finance gets cheaper and that the same kind of property remains available at a suitable price. Buying now makes the rate visible, but introduces a different unknown—whether refinancing later is worthwhile after fees. That’s why the deposit, intended holding period and mortgage terms are essential.
 
Add an early-sale scenario. Suppose circumstances force a resale sooner than planned: allow for buying and selling costs, a weaker sale price, and any early-repayment charge under the proposed mortgage. You don’t need to predict the exact outcome; just choose a loss you could absorb without being trapped. Portability is worth asking about too, but don’t assume the loan can move with you until the lender confirms the terms.
 
There is another caveat: “I can afford the payment” may only describe an ordinary month. Run the household budget with maintenance, irregular property costs and reduced income alongside the mortgage. Then repeat it at a higher reset rate if the loan can reset. A comfortable payment should leave room for things going wrong, not merely fit when everything goes right.
 
For the completed examples, make the comparison period explicit. A sale completed recently may reflect financing and negotiations agreed earlier, so completion date alone can mislead. Keep the area, property type, size, condition and ownership characteristics as close as possible. If you cannot find genuinely comparable transactions, widen the time window before widening the geography too far.
 
I’d put three columns on one page: buy now at 6.40%, wait and buy the same property at a higher price with a lower rate, and wait with both price and rate unchanged. Use the same deposit and holding period in each. Add all known fees and a conservative resale amount. That won’t predict the winner, but it will show which assumption is doing most of the work.
 
Before deciding, ask the lender for a written cost illustration covering the initial rate period, arrangement fees, rate-reset mechanism, early repayment and whether portability is available. Then calculate the break-even refinance rate after fresh fees rather than assuming every rate drop justifies switching. If the purchase remains affordable without refinancing and survives the early-sale test, waiting becomes a market preference rather than a necessity.
 
Back
Top