Buy now at 4.70% or risk stronger competition if rates fall?

watchTheJournal

Mortgage adviser
I’m considering a MX$25,110,000 property in Mexico City with financing at 4.70%. I can manage the payment now, but I’m wondering whether waiting for a lower rate would simply mean competing with more buyers before inventory improves.

What stress tests would you run rather than trying to predict both rates and prices? I’m particularly concerned about arrangement fees, rate resets, early repayment terms, and whether refinancing or resale would actually be practical.
 
Start with monthly affordability at today’s rate, then rerun it at a meaningfully higher reset rate. Also compare the total cost over the period you realistically expect to own, including arrangement fees—not just the headline rate. What loan-to-value are you considering, and is 4.70% fixed for the full term or only an initial period? Those details could matter more than a modest future price move.
 
I’d challenge the assumption that cheaper finance automatically lifts this particular property’s price. Demand may increase, but resale still depends on the building, location, condition and pool of buyers at that price.

Before waiting, ask the lender what early repayment and portability terms apply, then model refinancing without assuming either approval or a better valuation. Compare that cautious case with buying now and keeping enough cash to absorb higher payments or a slower resale.
 
Back
Top