Buy the apartment at 3.25% now, or risk higher prices while waiting?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
I’m considering an apartment at A$494,000 and can afford the purchase with a 3.25% mortgage rate today. I could wait for cheaper finance, but lower rates may bring buyers back before local inventory improves and push prices higher. What stress tests would you use instead of trying to predict both variables? I’m particularly concerned about monthly affordability, a future rate reset, refinancing and resale risk. Arrangement fees, early-repayment terms and portability also seem capable of changing the comparison.
 
I’d compare buying now with waiting over one defined period, then run the current loan at several higher payment levels rather than assuming your next rate will be lower. Include arrangement fees in the effective cost. If the apartment still works without refinancing, any later rate reduction becomes a benefit rather than something the purchase depends on.
 
What loan-to-value would you start with, and what are the apartment’s ongoing service charges? Those may matter more to resilience than a modest rate movement. Also check whether your monthly figure includes every recurring property cost. A refinance assumption can fail if the valuation falls or your circumstances change, even when market rates drop.
 
I wouldn’t assume falling rates automatically mean this particular apartment rises in price. More buyers may return, but competing listings, building-specific costs and resale appeal still matter. I’d ask the lender for comparable figures including all fees, plus the early-repayment and portability conditions, then model three cases: no refinance, a higher reset rate, and selling earlier than planned. If only the optimistic case feels comfortable, waiting—or choosing a cheaper apartment—may be the better answer.
 
Back
Top