Buy the apartment or keep renting when HOA fees are this high?

GoodSignal

First-time buyer
Established
Founding Member
I can buy a comparable Miami apartment for around $660,000, but the mortgage, property tax, maintenance and association dues would put my monthly cost well above my current rent. Buying would build equity, yet I may move within five to seven years, so transaction costs and resale liquidity worry me.

How would you value the flexibility of renting against ownership here, especially with the possibility of rising building fees or inadequate shared-building reserves? I’m also interested in where the comparison changes for a country home, where there may be more direct maintenance, insurance and energy exposure rather than association dues.
 
With a five-to-seven-year horizon, I would lean toward renting unless buying also gives you a meaningful lifestyle benefit. Equity is not the same as profit: some payments reduce the loan, but taxes, insurance, maintenance, association dues and transaction costs do not come back to you. A fee increase or difficult resale period could matter a lot if your moving date is not flexible.
 
One missing fact is what happens after you move. Would you definitely sell, or might you keep the apartment as a rental? Tenant demand could provide another exit, but then association costs, vacancy risk and management workload still need to fit within the rent. I would run both outcomes rather than assuming appreciation makes the short holding period work.
 
I disagree slightly with treating renting as the automatic low-risk choice. Your rent can change too, and a suitable rental may not always be available when you want it. The real comparison should use the same housing quality and include the value you place on stability.

That said, the country-home version is a different calculation. You lose the shared-building structure but take direct responsibility for repairs, insurance exposure, energy use and periods when the property may sit vacant. Resale can also depend on a narrower buyer pool, so flexibility still has a cost—just in a different form.
 
That distinction helps. I would probably sell rather than manage the Miami apartment from elsewhere, so treating it as a future rental may be too optimistic. My concern is less about qualifying for the purchase and more about paying a premium each month, then discovering that higher association costs make the unit harder to resell when I need to move. I also agree that a country home would not eliminate maintenance costs; it would only move them out of the monthly dues.
 
Then I’d make a simple five- and seven-year comparison with three exits: sell easily, sell slowly, and keep it vacant while waiting. Include purchase and sale costs, loan reduction, nonrecoverable monthly expenses, possible building work, and the cost of managing from a distance. Do the same for renting, including plausible rent changes and invested cash you did not put into the purchase. If buying only wins under a strong resale assumption, renting is buying flexibility rather than merely “missing” equity.
 
Back
Top