Buy the five-bed at 5.57%, or wait and risk higher competition?

The purchase is affordable today; the uncertainty is whether it remains sensible when conditions change. I’m considering a five-bedroom Singapore property at S$1,581,000 with financing at 5.57%, and I’m concerned that waiting for a cheaper loan could mean facing stronger buyer competition or a different purchase price.

How would you compare buying now with waiting without assuming that either rates or prices move in my favour? I want to test a higher reset rate, reduced income, no successful refinance and an earlier-than-planned resale. Arrangement fees, refinancing costs and any limits on portability also need to be included.
 
I would make the decision work without assuming a future refinance. Test the monthly payment at 5.57%, then again at a meaningfully higher reset rate, while allowing for a period of reduced household income and normal ownership costs. If the purchase remains comfortable, cheaper refinancing later is an upside. If it only works after rates fall, waiting is safer.
 
The planned loan-to-value could change this answer more than the quoted 5.57%. A substantial cash contribution leaves a different margin for rate resets and resale costs than a highly leveraged purchase, even when the initial payment is manageable.

I would also challenge the focus on monthly affordability unless the intended holding period is known. If a move is plausible within a few years, arrangement and refinancing fees may outweigh a modest rate improvement. How much are you borrowing, and how long would the five-bedroom property realistically suit the household?
 
You have already considered payments at 5.57% and the possibility of refinancing; what remains unclear is how the purchase performs if you must move sooner than expected. A loan can remain affordable while the property is slow or costly to resell.

I would separate the decision into two stages. First, require the financing to survive an unfavourable reset without refinancing. Then test whether you could hold the five-bedroom property through a longer sale period if circumstances forced a move. Proceeding only if both tests work is a narrower compromise than either buying because rates may fall or waiting because prices may change.
 
Put three paths side by side over the same holding period: buy now and keep the current loan; buy now and refinance later; wait and buy at a different price and rate. Include arrangement fees, any early-repayment cost, cash tied up in the purchase and the monthly payments. Do not automatically give the waiting option a lower rate without also allowing for a higher purchase price.
 
Also read the loan terms for rate-reset timing, early repayment and portability rather than focusing only on 5.57%. Portability may be irrelevant if the replacement property or borrowing circumstances do not qualify under the lender's terms. Singapore-specific lending and transaction constraints can also change the calculation, so confirm those before relying on comparisons from another market. The strongest decision is one that survives no refinance, an unfavourable reset and a longer-than-expected sale period.
 
Back
Top