Buy the Melbourne coastal home now or keep waiting for a fall?

sasha_page

Homeowner
Waiting is not cost-free. My concern is that a forecast price drop could be offset by further rent or borrowing-cost changes while I remain on the sidelines.

I can currently manage a suitable Melbourne coastal home at about A$2,098,000, although that price still looks high against older comparisons. I am weighing a purchase based on present repayments and a long stay against continuing to rent for a decline that may not arrive when expected.

For people who faced a similar choice, what made the decision workable: a minimum cash buffer, a set ownership period, or a clear comparison between rent and total ownership costs? I would also be interested in how you checked sample size, revision history and the timing of policy changes before trusting a market trend.
 
If it meets your needs and remains manageable after allowing for higher costs, waiting specifically for a crash is market timing. But “affordable now” needs stress-testing, not just lender approval.

I’d also want recent sold results for genuinely comparable coastal homes—not asking prices—and the dates and transaction volume behind them. Melbourne’s submarkets can move differently, while a small or seasonally noisy sample can create a misleading trend. How long would you realistically keep this property, and what cash buffer remains after buying?
 
Back
Top