Buyer says financing failed, but I’m hesitant to relist the Los Angeles property

yuki_hope

Property investor
Established
Learning that the inspection was not the problem changed how I see the failed sale. The deal ended when the buyer’s funding did not clear, but I do not yet know whether that reflects the borrower, the loan approval or the property valuation.

I’m hesitant to put the Los Angeles property straight back on the market without tightening the file and preparing a factual explanation. Would you first refresh the sale documents and require clearer proof of funds or lending readiness from the next buyer? I’m also weighing offer price against financing strength, deposit exposure and the risk that waiting makes us look more motivated than we are.
 
I’d relist promptly, but only after preparing a short, factual explanation: buyer financing failed; inspection was not the cause. A long unexplained gap may invite more speculation than the failed transaction itself.
 
Do you know whether this was basic loan approval or an appraisal problem? That distinction matters. If the property failed to support the contract price, I would revisit pricing before relisting. If the borrower’s circumstances changed, the property may need no adjustment.
 
Refresh anything that has become dated, then go back live. That need not mean waiting weeks. Make sure disclosures, inspection materials and any completed repair information all tell the same story so buyers do not encounter contradictions.
 
I’d first compare the asking price with completed comparables, not active listings. The failed buyer may have been uniquely weak, but the original contract price is less reassuring if recent completed sales point lower.
 
Stronger financing proof helps, but it is only a snapshot. A buyer can have a credible approval and still run into trouble later. I’d compare lender readiness, contingency terms, down payment and timing rather than treating one letter as decisive.
 
A slightly lower offer is not automatically safer. I would take less only when the whole package is materially stronger, not merely because the buyer uses reassuring language.
 
Los Angeles is too varied for a citywide answer on waiting. The useful comparables are the closest genuinely similar properties. If those support your price and the house still presents well, the financing failure alone would not push me toward an immediate reduction.
 
Since the inspection was not the problem, can its existence work in your favor? Perhaps, but be careful about presenting an old inspection as though it replaces a new buyer’s own inspection protection. Better to disclose relevant information without discouraging independent diligence.
 
How motivated are you to close by a particular date? That missing fact changes everything. A seller with flexibility can test the prior price; a seller carrying two properties may rationally favor certainty and a shorter timeline.
 
The response deadline deserves attention too. Giving buyers enough time to verify financing may produce cleaner offers than forcing a rushed decision, although an excessively long offer window can drain momentum.
 
I would also examine why the deposit did not offset the disruption. Deposit exposure depends on the contract, contingencies and what happened before termination, so this is a question for the people handling the Los Angeles transaction—not something to assume from the amount alone.
 
Agreed on motivation. If there is no urgent deadline, I’d relaunch near the previous position and let actual buyer response answer the pricing question. If certainty matters more, invite offers that clearly spell out financing milestones and contingencies.
 
Were any repair credits agreed after inspection? Even though inspection did not kill the deal, a new buyer could raise the same items. Decide in advance whether to repair, disclose and price accordingly, or remain open to a credit.
 
The possible appraisal gap is the part I would not overlook. A large down payment does not by itself tell you whether the buyer can cover a short appraisal. Ask how an offer handles that scenario rather than assuming stronger proof of funds solves it.
 
Completed comparables should be current as of the relist, not simply the set used before the first contract. If they have moved against you during those several weeks, waiting longer may not improve the story.
 
There’s a risk of overcorrecting for one buyer’s failure. Tightening every term, demanding more documents and discounting the price could shrink the buyer pool without preventing another failure. Fix the specific weakness that appeared.
 
I’d make a simple offer table: price, down payment, financing evidence, appraisal-gap treatment, inspection protection, requested credits, deposit terms and closing schedule. It makes the trade-off between the highest offer and the most executable one much clearer.
 
And score uncertainty separately from price. Two offers only a little apart can carry very different paths to closing. That is a better basis for accepting less than a vague preference for a ‘strong buyer.’
 
Would you reuse the existing photos and description? A quick relist preserves momentum, but a modest presentation refresh can signal a genuine new opportunity rather than a listing that simply bounced back.
 
Back
Top