Buyer’s financing failed late—relist now or strengthen the file first?

GoodSignal

First-time buyer
Established
Founding Member
The initial advice is to put the condo straight back on the market, but I’m hesitant to relist before understanding why the buyer’s loan failed. The deal had been progressing for several weeks, and nothing arising from the inspection caused the collapse.

A quick return might avoid an awkward gap, while a short pause would let me update the condo records and strengthen the sales file. For the next round, should I favour the highest price, or give more weight to verified funds, financing quality, appraisal-gap risk and inspection terms? I’m also reviewing the deposit and response deadline rather than assuming either would have prevented this outcome.
 
I’d refresh the file quickly, then relist without a long unexplained gap. Be straightforward that financing failed and the inspection was not the cause. I would not automatically take less, though. Compare offers by financing strength, inspection protection, deposit, and any appraisal-gap exposure—not price alone. Also look at completed comparables rather than assuming the failed contract established the condo’s value.
 
Was the buyer unable to qualify generally, or did the appraisal or condo documentation affect the loan? That distinction matters because a second financed buyer could encounter the same obstacle. Before relisting, I’d ask what information can properly be obtained about the failure and make sure any condo documents requested during the first deal are current.
 
I disagree slightly with the idea that stronger financing should justify a lower price by itself. A buyer can look solid and still fail later. I’d first improve the offer terms: a realistic response deadline, clear financing dates, and fewer ambiguous requests for repair credits after inspection.

The deposit is relevant, but whether it is actually exposed after a financing failure depends on the contract and local jurisdiction. Seller motivation matters too; certainty has more value if carrying the condo for another month would be difficult.
 
One addition to Leila’s question: if appraisal was part of the problem, revisit the asking price against completed comparables before demanding an appraisal-gap commitment. Otherwise, relist promptly with refreshed paperwork and a concise, factual explanation of why the previous contract ended.
 
Back
Top