sharp_brick
First-time buyer
Buying personally may keep the transaction simpler, while using an entity may suit longer-term ownership plans. Neither feels comfortable until I can see the acquisition costs and the later tax consequences side by side.
The property is a Cape Town retail unit at about ZAR 14,200,000. My checklist includes transfer tax, the legal work and registration, but I may be overlooking recurring municipal or property charges and costs that depend on the buyer or seller structure.
I am particularly concerned about choices that would be difficult to unwind if I later sell, change residency or pass the asset on. Which questions should I give a South African property lawyer and tax adviser so that capital gains, annual charges and inheritance planning are covered in the first written estimate?
The property is a Cape Town retail unit at about ZAR 14,200,000. My checklist includes transfer tax, the legal work and registration, but I may be overlooking recurring municipal or property charges and costs that depend on the buyer or seller structure.
I am particularly concerned about choices that would be difficult to unwind if I later sell, change residency or pass the asset on. Which questions should I give a South African property lawyer and tax adviser so that capital gains, annual charges and inheritance planning are covered in the first written estimate?