Buying a Seoul mixed-use building now versus waiting for lower prices

zia_titles

Buyer
Established
I keep hearing “wait for prices to fall,” but during my search both rent and borrowing costs have moved. I have found a suitable mixed-use building in Seoul that is affordable now, though certainly not cheap by historical standards.

How do you distinguish a sensible wait from an attempt to time the market? I am particularly interested in the personal thresholds people used—monthly carrying cost, reserves, holding period, rental income, or something else. If your answer comes from outside South Korea, please mention which local rule or market difference changes it.
 
Waiting becomes a plan only if you define what would make you buy. “After a 10% fall,” for example, is incomplete if borrowing costs or rent change at the same time.

For a mixed-use property, I would focus on total monthly cost, a reserve for repairs and vacancies, and whether the numbers remain tolerable under less favorable financing. Will you occupy part of the building, or does affordability depend mainly on tenant income?
 
That question exposes a weakness in my thinking: I have been treating the affordable purchase price as the threshold, rather than testing the whole building under lower rent or vacancy. I also need to separate asking-price movement from actual completed sales. With a less common property type, a few listings could give a misleading impression of Seoul’s direction.
 
I would still push back on “affordable now” as a reason to proceed. Mixed-use buildings can have thin transaction samples, so the most recent comparable sale may be old or materially different. Check the sale date, revision history if figures were later corrected, and transaction volume—not just the headline price change.

If the deal only works with full occupancy, waiting may be prudent even without expecting a crash.
 
There is another timing issue: policy changes can affect financing or permitted use faster than broad market prices move. That is jurisdiction-specific, so current Seoul requirements need confirming before an offer rather than relying on an older article or discussion.

I would also compare several months rather than one seasonal patch. Low-volume mixed-use data can look dramatic when ordinary seasonal noise meets a tiny sample.
 
A practical middle ground is to write two lists before deciding. First, non-negotiables: acceptable carrying cost, cash left after purchase, vacancy tolerance, repair reserve, and intended holding period. Second, evidence that would justify waiting: enough recent completed sales showing lower values, not merely reduced asking prices.

Then price the cost of waiting as well—continued rent, changed borrowing costs, and the chance that this particular suitable building disappears. That will not predict Seoul’s next move, but it turns the decision into something testable rather than “buy now versus crash later.”
 
Back
Top