Buying in Canada: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

cairn.common

First-time buyer
Established
I'm considering a coastal home in Toronto at about C$607,500 and deciding whether to proceed before the full closing and ownership costs are clear. My checklist has transfer tax, registration and lawyer/notary fees, but I am less confident about ownership restrictions, recurring property charges, residency rules, future capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning.

There is also proposed work mentioned three times in the minutes, with no firm estimate. What questions should I put to a licensed local lawyer or tax professional, and what commonly appears outside the first cost estimate?
 
Start by separating purchase costs from adjustments and later ownership costs. Ask the lawyer which provincial and Toronto transfer charges apply, what registration and title-related disbursements are expected, and whether prepaid property taxes or other amounts will be adjusted at closing. Your residency, citizenship, intended use and proposed ownership structure may change the answers, so those facts need to be stated clearly.
 
That separation helps. I had combined everything into one percentage, which was hiding the uncertainty. The minutes are now my bigger concern: should I request the scope, approval status, allocation method and any available estimate for the work before treating the annual charges as reliable? I will also give the lawyer the intended-use and residency details rather than asking for a generic quote.
 
Yes, but I would not treat this only as a closing-cost exercise. Work repeatedly recorded without a price could become a later charge rather than something collected on completion. Find out who is responsible for approving it, whether funds have already been reserved, and how your share would be calculated. Minutes alone may not show the whole financial position.

Also, “notary costs” may be too broad for a Toronto purchase; ask exactly which professional will handle the transfer and what is included in the quoted fee.
 
One caveat: future capital gains and inheritance planning cannot be reduced to a standard buyer checklist, especially if residency could change or another person/entity may hold an interest. Put those in a separate discussion with a Canadian professional who has the full ownership plan.

For the property itself, request written answers on the unpriced work, current annual charges, pending increases and any closing adjustments. Then compare the revised total with your C$607,500 budget before waiving any relevant conditions.
 
Back
Top