Buying in Hong Kong: which costs are easiest to miss at HK$5,460,000?

XaviReed

Property investor
Established
One approach is to estimate the usual purchase charges first; the other is to confirm exactly what is being acquired before calculating anything. The second seems safer for this Hong Kong student-housing opportunity at HK$5,460,000, although I can see why starting with transfer tax and registration is tempting.

Which document should establish whether this is direct property ownership, a company interest or some other arrangement? Once that is clear, I want a local licensed adviser to itemise the purchase expenses and recurring property charges, state the residency assumptions used, and identify any ownership limits. I also need separate questions covering treatment on resale, a future change of residency and inheritance.
 
First clarify what “student housing” means in this deal: direct ownership of a property, a share in a company or another contractual interest. The cost and risk questions could be quite different. Ask for two itemised lists—everything due at purchase and every recurring charge afterward—and have the adviser state which assumptions about residency and ownership status were used to calculate the transfer tax.
 
I wouldn’t spend too much time on the label “notary costs” until the transaction structure is confirmed. A low initial estimate can simply exclude work that only becomes apparent when the title, financing or ownership documents are examined.

I’d also ask separately what happens on resale, death or a change in residency. Those points may not alter the closing bill, but they can matter more than a small registration-fee difference. Get the tax and inheritance questions answered by the relevant Hong Kong professionals, not treated as incidental parts of the conveyancing quote.
 
Back
Top