Buying in the Netherlands: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

I’m buying outside my home country and building a closing-cost checklist for a coastal home in the Netherlands priced at about €644,000. I’m using Amsterdam-based professional advice, but I want a better list of questions before that discussion rather than assuming the process matches my home country.

I already have transfer tax, notary costs and registration fees on the list. What I’m less clear about is whether the ownership structure or any restrictions can create extra upfront work, and which annual property charges tend to be omitted from an initial estimate. I also need to ask how residency status could affect the tax position, including capital-gains treatment, and whether the way title is held has implications for inheritance planning.

For anyone who completed a Dutch purchase, which cost or issue appeared later than expected? It would be especially useful to know whether it arose before completion, through annual ownership charges, or during tax and estate planning. I’m looking for practical questions to take to licensed local legal and tax professionals, not personal advice.
 
Back
Top