C$1.478m for a 590 sq ft Calgary townhouse — how would you test the valuation?

DailyMeter

Landlord
This would be our first rental, and I am concerned I may be overlooking an obvious cost or valuation issue.

It is a 1-bed Calgary townhouse of about 590 sq ft in average condition, asking C$1,478,000. The main positives are light and location; the dated finishes and possible local supply costs are negatives.

I found three asking-price comparables but only one completed sale. Would you apply any broad adjustment range for condition and floor area, or is that too unreliable with so little evidence? Which missing fact—micro-location, tenure or lease length, service charges, parking, or outdoor space—would most change your view? I will obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on a figure.
 
I would not choose a percentage adjustment yet. The asking price is roughly C$2,505 per sq ft, so first establish whether the property interest and listing details are genuinely comparable. Three asking prices show seller expectations, not achieved value.

What are the size, condition, sale date and exact micro-location of the one completed comparable? Also confirm whether parking or outdoor space is included. Those answers could matter more than a generic floor-area adjustment.
 
I partly disagree on prioritising floor area and location. Since this is intended as a rental, the missing recurring costs may change the decision faster: any service or condo charges, what they cover, and whether there is a lease with a remaining term. You also need a realistic rent figure before deciding whether even a defensible appraisal makes it a workable deal.

For condition, list the dated items rather than calling the whole property “average.”
 
Before adjusting the comparables, verify that C$1,478,000 applies only to this 590 sq ft, 1-bed townhouse and not to a larger interest or an incorrectly described listing. Then build a small table showing sold versus asking status, floor area, condition, micro-location, parking, outdoor space, tenure and recurring charges. Use the completed sale as the anchor and treat the asking comparables cautiously. If large adjustments are still required, the evidence is probably too weak; ask the local appraiser for better matched completed sales rather than forcing a valuation range.
 
Back
Top