C$27,000 looks comfortable, but will it cover the first year?

MinaGale

First-time buyer
Established
C$27,000 sounds like a decent cushion, but I hesitate to treat it as spare money before the inspection is complete. The 1-bed country home near Calgary is around C$681,800, and that is the balance I expect to retain once the purchase costs and deposit are covered.

My main concern is deciding what remains untouchable and what can pay for moving or early work. If the inspection identifies an urgent heating, water or structural issue, I would delay furniture and use a repair fund. If it only finds routine maintenance, I would rather preserve more cash against several months of mortgage and household costs.

Does that decision rule make sense? The opening mortgage instalment and insurance deductible also need their own allocations, and I still have to establish whether this property has any recurring service fee. I am buying below my ceiling because I want a workable budget, not just reassurance that the total sounds adequate.
 
I’d protect at least half as an emergency fund and treat it as unavailable for furniture. From the remainder, reserve the first mortgage payment, get an actual moving quote, and keep a repair pot until the inspection is complete. Furniture can arrive slowly; a water, heating or electrical issue cannot. The exact split matters less than not spending the whole balance during the first month.
 
What are your expected monthly mortgage, insurance, utility and transport costs? C$27,000 could be comfortable or fairly thin depending on your normal spending. Also clarify whether “service charges” actually apply to this property and what the insurance deductible is. Those figures should be known before assigning money to sofas or decorating.
 
I’d go further than opeterson and avoid dividing the repair and furniture money yet. Wait for the inspection, then separate findings into urgent, first-year and cosmetic items. Ask for rough costs on anything significant rather than relying only on the inspector’s wording.

Before making the offer firm, write down the known moving cost, first payment timing, deductible and one month of full household expenses. Whatever remains above your emergency minimum is the real discretionary budget.
 
Back
Top