Calgary: 2,480 sq ft studio or similarly priced duplex?

FriendlyJournal

Homeowner
Established
First-time buyer here, comparing a 2,480 sq ft studio with a similarly priced duplex in Calgary. The studio appears simpler to maintain, while the duplex offers more control but could leave me carrying larger, irregular repair bills.

I’m trying to model insurance, energy use, local supply, tenant demand and resale liquidity. For a shared building I’d also need to understand the reserves and my exposure to major work. What costs or management demands tend to become apparent only after the first year? Nothing looks disastrous by itself; it’s the accumulation of loose ends that concerns me.
 
I’d compare the timing of costs, not just the annual average. For the studio, examine the building’s reserve information, fee history, planned work and what the building insurance does not cover. For the duplex, get the roof, exterior, drainage and heating systems assessed, then price insurance and likely repairs separately. A five-year cash-flow calendar may expose the risk better than one estimated yearly figure.
 
Two details could change every answer here: is the duplex the entire building or one side, and is the studio a residential condo with one open-plan room? If either has shared ownership obligations, the apparent difference in control may be smaller than it looks.

Also, will you occupy it or rent it? A 2,480 sq ft studio is unusual enough that I’d want evidence of demand for that exact layout, rather than relying on general apartment demand.
 
I would prefer the lower-maintenance option, but neither label proves which property that is. A 2,480 sq ft studio still has substantial space to heat and refurbish, and major building decisions may depend on shared reserves rather than the owner. One side of a duplex can bring similar constraints if the exterior, wall or services are jointly managed.

The missing fact for me is the ownership arrangement for each property. I would ask for the title details, reserve information, planned building work and a clear schedule of maintenance responsibilities before comparing costs. If the property will be rented, I would also want evidence of demand for that exact studio layout or duplex interest, not general figures for apartments and houses.
 
Enelson’s questions should come before the spreadsheet. Once the ownership structure is clear, make three columns for each property: fixed recurring costs, plausible work within five years, and rare but expensive events. Add a vacancy period and a higher-than-expected energy bill to both cases.

Then collect the actual building information, utility history, insurance quotes and inspection findings. For resale, compare genuinely similar layouts and titles; ordinary studio or duplex listings may not tell you much about these particular properties.
 
Back
Top