Calgary first home: is C$43,200 enough to keep after closing?

MinaGale

First-time buyer
Established
I want enough cash left after buying that the first repair does not put me under pressure. The difficulty is deciding whether C$43,200 provides that margin on a roughly C$1,174,000 three-bedroom country home near Calgary.

That balance is what I expect to retain once the deposit and projected closing expenses are covered, but moving charges, the insurance excess and inspection work could reduce it quickly. Furniture can be delayed; essential repairs and lost-income cover cannot. Would you keep the full amount ring-fenced until after the first few months, or set a lower purchase ceiling now? My next step is to price the move and any urgent inspection items separately.
 
I’d work backwards rather than split it evenly. First ring-fence an emergency fund that can cover essential living costs and mortgage payments if income is interrupted. Then reserve known moving costs, the insurance excess and any urgent inspection items. Furniture comes last; empty rooms are inconvenient, but a failed heating or water system cannot wait.
 
Does the C$43,200 also account for the timing of the first mortgage payment and the initial insurance payment? Also, does this country home have any shared-road, community or similar service charges? Those details could change the picture. Income stability matters too: the same cash balance is much safer with two predictable incomes than with irregular earnings.
 
I slightly disagree with putting furniture entirely last. A small amount for essentials is reasonable, especially if the move requires beds, window coverings or somewhere to eat. The mistake would be furnishing all three bedrooms immediately.

The inspection should drive the repair reserve, but remember it may not predict every failure. If buying at C$1,174,000 leaves no room beyond the C$43,200, I would compare that with a cheaper property and the larger buffer it creates.
 
The questions about payment timing and service charges are helpful. My estimate bundled closing costs together rather than listing every payment by date, so I need to confirm exactly what leaves the account before and just after possession.

I’m leaning toward treating most of the C$43,200 as untouchable emergency and repair money, with separate caps for moving and only essential furniture. If the inspection identifies several near-term jobs, I’ll either renegotiate my overall budget or look below C$1,174,000 rather than assume I can rebuild the buffer quickly.
 
That sounds more robust. Before deciding, make a simple first-year schedule: possession-related payments, first mortgage payment, insurance and excess, moving, urgent inspection work, and non-urgent work that can wait. Add furniture only after those lines.

Also ask the inspector to distinguish safety or weather-tightness issues from maintenance and cosmetic items. Then get local estimates for the important work rather than assigning one vague repair figure. If the remaining emergency fund feels uncomfortable after that exercise, the purchase price is probably too close to your limit.
 
Back
Top