Calgary retail listings: tax effect or stale stock?

MinaGale

First-time buyer
Established
I’m deciding whether to pursue any Calgary retail units now or wait for clearer pricing. My notes cover C$194,400 to C$291,600, with a typical listing visible for 21 days. Supply has increased, but relatively few units look attractive enough to buy.

My working theory is that property tax helps explain why some listings move quickly while others linger. Before relying on that, I’d like to compare recent completed sales, withdrawals and price-cut timing. What are people seeing at street level, particularly once neighbourhood and condition are taken into account?
 
I wouldn’t put property tax first yet. Compare each active listing with genuinely similar completed sales, then separate clean units from those needing work. Also track withdrawals and relistings; a listing showing 21 days may not represent its full market exposure. If the quick sales were simply priced closer to completed deals, tax may be secondary.
 
How broad are your neighbourhood boundaries, and are the units otherwise comparable? That price bracket could still contain very different locations, conditions and financing prospects. I’d also want the actual tax burden for each property rather than assuming it from asking price. Seller motivation matters too: an early reduction can produce a quick sale without saying much about the wider market.
 
I disagree slightly with calling 21 days stale. On its own, that is just a snapshot. The stronger signal would be listings that pass that point without a reduction, then disappear rather than complete. Buyer financing could also stretch timelines even where the seller and buyer have broadly agreed on value.
 
You have already identified tax as a possible factor, but it is still unclear whether the units being compared are genuinely similar. I would rebuild the sample by neighbourhood and condition, then record each property as completed, active or withdrawn and note any asking-price changes.

Compare tax burdens only within those tighter groups. If otherwise similar units with higher tax consistently linger or reduce earlier, the theory gains support. If the pattern disappears once a compromised unit is separated from a well-positioned one, financing, condition or seller motivation is probably doing more of the work.
 
That’s helpful. I was treating 21 days as more meaningful than it probably is and wasn’t separating withdrawn listings from actual completions consistently. I’ll rebuild the notes around neighbourhood, condition, financing risk and price-cut timing, then add the individual tax amounts. The decision for now is to wait unless a unit compares well with a recent completed sale rather than merely looking cheap within the C$194,400–C$291,600 range.
 
Back
Top