The Calgary figures look mildly positive, but the composition of the sample worries me. It covers villas advertised from C$361,800 to C$542,700, shows movement of about 0.6%, and has a median marketing period close to 86 days. Differences in condition make those headline numbers unstable.
I initially focused on whether property tax was giving buyers leverage. On reflection, the larger issue may be whether higher carrying costs cause a lower offer or simply send the buyer to another neighbourhood. I also have far more asking information than completed-sale evidence.
Would you separate properties by tight neighbourhood boundaries, then record price cuts, withdrawals and apparent seller motivation? That seems more useful than treating every active listing as equal, especially if unsold homes are dominating the sample.
I initially focused on whether property tax was giving buyers leverage. On reflection, the larger issue may be whether higher carrying costs cause a lower offer or simply send the buyer to another neighbourhood. I also have far more asking information than completed-sale evidence.
Would you separate properties by tight neighbourhood boundaries, then record price cuts, withdrawals and apparent seller motivation? That seems more useful than treating every active listing as equal, especially if unsold homes are dominating the sample.