Cape Town first-time buyer: is ZAR 600,600 enough cash buffer after transfer?

sasha.gale

First-time buyer
Everyone says the nerves are normal, which is not as helpful as they think. I’m 74 days into the process and trying to decide whether I’m stretching too far.

For a 2-bed townhouse in Cape Town at about ZAR 11,650,000, I would have roughly ZAR 600,600 left after the deposit and estimated closing costs. The inspection may still reveal ordinary first-year work.

How would you divide that remainder among emergency savings, moving costs, immediate repairs and furniture? I would rather buy slightly below my maximum than have every small issue become a financial emergency. I’m also conscious of service charges, the insurance excess and timing of the first mortgage payment.
 
I wouldn’t divide it until the inspection findings and monthly service charges are clear. First ring-fence an emergency amount that remains untouched after moving, then reserve cash for the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and any urgent inspection items. Moving gets its own capped pot; furniture can come last and be bought gradually.

The missing detail is whether the ZAR 600,600 estimate includes every transfer-related payment and the first month’s recurring property costs. If not, your real buffer is smaller. Buying below your maximum sounds sensible if preserving that untouched reserve otherwise becomes difficult.
 
Back
Top