ZAR 382,200 should remain after the deposit and projected buying costs, and that figure is driving the decision. I am looking at a 2-bed new-build flat in Cape Town for about ZAR 3,094,000 and have stayed below my maximum budget to leave some room during the first year.
The cash may need to cover the emergency fund, moving, inspection or snagging issues, essential furniture, building charges, an insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. I can postpone nonessential purchases, but I do not yet know how much should be protected from the outset.
What would you ring-fence before committing? My next step is to confirm the lender’s first payment date and obtain a complete list of what the developer includes, so I can separate fixed move-in costs from items that can wait.
The cash may need to cover the emergency fund, moving, inspection or snagging issues, essential furniture, building charges, an insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. I can postpone nonessential purchases, but I do not yet know how much should be protected from the outset.
What would you ring-fence before committing? My next step is to confirm the lender’s first payment date and obtain a complete list of what the developer includes, so I can separate fixed move-in costs from items that can wait.