Cape Town student housing at ZAR 19,840,000: building a complete cost checklist

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
I am considering student housing in Cape Town priced around ZAR 19,840,000 and am building a closing-cost checklist before deciding whether to proceed.

I have transfer tax, legal or notary fees, and registration on the list. The less clear areas are the ownership structure, any restrictions affecting an overseas buyer, recurring property charges, capital-gains treatment, residency implications, and inheritance planning.

For anyone familiar with South African transactions, what commonly falls outside the first estimate? I am looking for practical questions to put to licensed local advisers, not personal legal or tax advice. This is outside my home country, so I do not want to assume the process or terminology is equivalent.
 
Ask for three separate written schedules: acquisition costs, annual holding costs, and costs or taxes that may arise on an eventual sale. A single “closing costs” total can hide assumptions about ownership and future treatment. I would also ask who calculates each amount, when it becomes payable, and whether the estimate changes if the buyer is an individual rather than an entity.
 
Ideally you want a clean property-cost estimate, but that is difficult until the sale package is defined. Buying the building alone may have different consequences from taking over furnished units, existing student tenancies, management contracts or a trading operation.

The three schedules suggested above are useful, although I would first ask the seller for an itemised statement of what the ZAR 19,840,000 includes. Your advisers can then separate the real estate from any movable assets or business interests before estimating the charges.
 
Also be careful with imported terminology. “Notary costs” may mean something different in your home country, so ask the South African conveyancer to identify every legal role and fee rather than accepting broad headings.

For recurring charges, request the actual municipal account and, if the property is in a shared or sectional arrangement, the relevant levy information. Estimates from a listing are not enough for budgeting.
 
I would settle the intended ownership route before asking for a final tax estimate. Personal ownership, a company, or another structure should not be treated as interchangeable merely because each can hold property. Ask the local legal and tax advisers to compare acquisition cost, annual administration, capital-gains treatment, and inheritance consequences side by side.
 
I partly disagree with deciding the structure first. The advisers need the buyer’s circumstances and exit plan, but they also need the property documents and transaction terms. Otherwise the comparison may be theoretical. I would investigate the asset and ownership options in parallel, then have both advisers confirm that they used the same assumptions.
 
Residency needs its own questions. Ask separately whether owning the property affects immigration status, whether your tax residence changes any treatment, and what reporting may still be required in your home country. Those are different issues, and an answer about one should not be taken as an answer about the others.
 
Following Mila’s point, the existing occupation arrangements seem especially important for student housing. Obtain a schedule of current tenancies, deposits, arrears if any, included services, and management commitments. Even if those items do not alter transfer charges, they can materially change the cash required immediately after completion and the credibility of the annual-cost estimate.
 
Yes, and inheritance planning should not be left until after the structure is chosen. Give the adviser your nationality, residence, intended co-owners, and what you want to happen on death, then ask how ownership would be administered in that scenario. The useful output is not a generic answer but a comparison showing costs, control, and succession consequences.
 
Before committing, I would ask for one consolidated funds timeline: deposit, each transfer or registration item, professional fees, adjustments at handover, and the first year of recurring charges. Then reconcile it against the sale agreement and property records. Any line still described as “estimated” should state the assumption behind it and who will confirm the final figure.
 
Back
Top