Chicago: 2,740 sq ft small multifamily or similarly priced apartment?

woodworksAndWorkshop

Buyer
Established
I’m comparing a 2,740 sq ft small multifamily with a similarly priced apartment in Chicago. On the information I have, the multifamily looks simpler to maintain, while the apartment appears to offer more control but could bring larger irregular costs depending on how it is held.

My model includes service charges, insurance, energy use and resale liquidity. What am I missing—particularly around vacancy, shared-building reserves, tenant demand and management workload? Which costs tend not to become obvious until after the first year?
 
Separate predictable expenses from costs you cannot schedule. For the multifamily, price out a vacant unit, turnover work, common-area utilities and major building systems. For the apartment, examine what service charges actually cover, the reserve position and how unexpected building work is funded. Also compare insurance responsibility rather than just premiums. Resale may depend heavily on whether buyers want an income property or a single residence.
 
What do you mean by “apartment”—a condo unit, or an entire apartment building? If it is a condo, I’d question the idea that it offers more control. You may control the interior, but shared maintenance and spending can sit with the association. Also, will you occupy either property or rent the whole thing? That changes the vacancy and management comparison substantially.
 
Noor’s distinction is the key one, but I wouldn’t assume shared control automatically makes the apartment worse. A well-funded shared building can make costs more manageable than being solely responsible for the roof, exterior and mechanical systems of a multifamily.

I’d build three scenarios for each option: normal year, one vacancy, and one major repair or assessment. Then compare cash required, time spent managing it, and how easily you could sell under each scenario.
 
Back
Top