Chicago detached rental at $560,000 and $3,980/month — what am I missing?

WorthyRiver

Property investor
If the rent or running costs are wrong, this could turn from an 8.5% headline yield into a poor return very quickly. The property is a 1-bed detached home in Chicago priced at $560,000, with projected rent of $3,980 per month.

I have allowed for management, routine upkeep, vacant periods, tenant changes and a substantial repair, but the building looking sound does not eliminate those risks. Which figure deserves the toughest stress test here: the actual property-tax bill, a property-specific insurance quote, achievable rent or turnover costs? I’m also interested in how others would compare the unlevered return with cash flow under the proposed financing rather than choosing one net-yield target.
 
Property tax is the first figure I would challenge. Don’t rely only on the seller’s current monthly estimate; model the actual bill and a materially higher case. I’d also obtain an insurance quote for this specific detached home rather than use a generic percentage. Those two items can erase a surprising amount of the apparent spread before financing.
 
How firm is the $3,980 rent? For a 1-bed detached property, the exact neighborhood, condition, parking and outdoor space could matter more than a broad Chicago comparison. I’d want several genuinely comparable rents and clarity on who pays utilities. Also, is your return calculation all-cash, or does it include debt payments and financing costs?
 
A narrow tenant pool is the practical constraint here. Taxes and insurance can be checked against bills and quotes, but an assumed $3,980 rent may fail in two ways at once: the monthly income is lower and the home takes longer to re-let.

I’d test a lower-rent case with extra vacancy and tenant-change costs, then add a major repair during that same year. If that version remains manageable after debt payments, the rent estimate has some room for error. If it does not, stronger evidence from genuinely similar 1-bed rentals is needed before the headline return means much.
 
Build three versions: expected, weak year and ugly year. Keep management in all three even if you might self-manage, then vary rent, vacancy, insurance, tax, repairs and turnover separately. For financing sensitivity, run the actual proposed loan terms and another case where refinancing later provides no improvement. If the weak-year cash flow becomes uncomfortable, the 8.5% gross figure is not offering much protection.
 
There isn’t a universal net yield that makes this worthwhile. I’d compare the unlevered net yield after recurring costs and realistic reserves with other properties you could buy at similar risk, then separately examine cash flow after debt. Before deciding, get the current tax history, a property-specific insurance quote, written management pricing, utility responsibility and evidence supporting $3,980. The deal should survive those verified numbers, not depend on the headline yield.
 
Back
Top