Chicago duplex: start high or price near the likely sale?

story.practical

Property investor
I have two very different agent valuations for a Chicago duplex. The higher proposal is tempting, but comparable listings that launched ambitiously have been sitting for roughly 78 days before reducing. I’m concerned that testing the ceiling could waste the strongest first-week interest.

What evidence would you request before choosing? I want recent completed sales, not just active listings or an optimistic pitch. It would also help to hear how others weigh price-cut timing, withdrawn stock and seller motivation. Please keep any United States legal obligations separate from personal appetite for waiting or accepting less.
 
I’d ask both agents to build a side-by-side list of completed sales within the same neighbourhood boundaries, then explain every adjustment for condition. Also request the original list price, final asking price and time line for any reduced or withdrawn comparables. Active listings show competition, not what buyers will pay.

Unless the higher agent can support the gap that way, launching closer to the likely sale price seems the safer strategy for preserving early attention.
 
How comparable are those properties physically? With a duplex, condition and the likely buyer’s financing can matter as much as the address. One renovated property and one needing major work may attract different pools even on nearby streets.

I’d also ask how much new-listing volume is expected while you are on market. Seventy-eight days looks different if buyers have few alternatives than if fresh competing stock appears every week.
 
I wouldn’t automatically treat a high opening as a mistake. If the property is unusual and the seller has little urgency, testing above the recent sales may be a rational risk. The problem is pretending there is no cost: a later cut can leave buyers wondering why it sat, and the seller must be willing to carry the property longer.

That is a motivation decision, not a legal conclusion. Any disclosure or listing obligations should be confirmed for the relevant Chicago and Illinois jurisdiction rather than assumed from general United States practice.
 
That helps. I’ll ask each agent for the same package: nearby completed sales with boundary and condition adjustments, original-to-final pricing on reductions, withdrawn listings, current competition and expected new supply. I’ll also ask them to identify which buyer and financing profile supports their number.

My preference is now to choose the price supported by those records rather than reward the highest valuation. If the ambitious figure is still defensible, I’ll want a pre-agreed reduction date instead of drifting toward the 78-day pattern.
 
Back
Top