Chicago first-time buyer: is $16,000 enough cash after closing?

OrlaIves

Buyer
Established
The case for proceeding is that I can technically close and still have cash left. My hesitation is that the remaining $16,000 looks very small beside a $1,165,000 purchase.

This would be my first home, a 1-bed apartment in Chicago. I still need to allow for moving, inspection findings, building service charges and anything that fails during the first year. Furniture can wait, but I do not want to treat the entire balance as available for setup costs.

How much would you ring-fence as an emergency fund, and would your answer depend mainly on how quickly monthly income could rebuild it? I’m also considering lowering my purchase ceiling rather than trying to make this apartment fit.
 
At that purchase price, $16,000 would feel tight to me. I’d protect the emergency fund first, reserve realistic amounts for moving and inspection findings, and treat almost all furniture as optional. A mostly empty apartment is inconvenient; having no cash when something breaks is much worse.
 
The missing piece is your monthly position after buying. How much can you rebuild each month after the mortgage, building service charges, insurance and normal living costs? Also, does the $16,000 figure already account for the first mortgage payment and your insurance deductible? A thin reserve is less alarming if it can be replenished quickly, though it is still a risk.
 
I wouldn’t decide from the $16,000 figure alone. Someone with strong monthly surplus and few moving needs is in a different position from someone whose mortgage will absorb nearly everything. Before walking away, list every known payment through the first couple of months and compare that with reliable take-home income. The cash-flow gap may be the real answer.
 
I’d use separate buckets rather than one vague buffer: money that is never touched except for an emergency, a moving allowance, inspection-related work that cannot wait, and a small setup budget. Furniture comes last. Until you have quotes or clearer estimates, don’t let cosmetic plans consume money that may be needed for plumbing, electrics or another essential item.
 
The inspection is only part of it in an apartment building. I would also ask what the service charges cover and whether any significant building work or extra owner contribution is being discussed. A perfect-looking unit can still bring shared-building costs. That uncertainty is why I think the protected reserve should remain genuinely untouched after moving.
 
I’m more cautious than the cash-flow argument suggests. Good income next month does not solve two expenses arriving in the first week, and employment income itself is not guaranteed. If buying slightly below your maximum preserves a meaningfully larger reserve, that has value beyond the cheaper mortgage. Furniture can be bought gradually; financial breathing room cannot.
 
Rafael’s point changes my earlier calculation somewhat. Monthly affordability is still important, but I’d now stress-test three things together: an urgent unit repair, an unexpected building-related charge and paying the insurance deductible. If that combination would exhaust the $16,000, I’d lower the target price or delay nonessential spending rather than assume future income will cover it.
 
One final detail: confirm the exact timing of the first mortgage payment with the lender rather than assuming it falls neatly into the normal monthly cycle. Then make a dated list from closing through the first two months—moving, service charges, insurance, essential work and mortgage. That should show whether $16,000 is a usable buffer or merely money already spoken for.
 
Back
Top