Chicago’s December 2024 inventory mix: seasonal noise or more selective buyers?

OrlaIves

Buyer
Established
The 0.8% figure is what makes me hesitate. In my December 2024 Chicago records, well-presented warehouses appear to move in about 61 days, while properties needing work remain listed for longer. Yet the difference I can see between advertised and completed prices is very small.

That could indicate buyers are selective about condition without negotiating much on the properties they choose. It could just as easily be a thin or seasonal sample. I also need to establish whether the comparison uses original or final asking prices and whether every listing, agreement and completion belongs to the same period. Local matched sales or neighbourhood observations would be useful, especially if they include the price history and dates rather than only a citywide summary.
 
One clarification: this is my first attempt at comparing the two sets, so I’m not treating 0.8% as a firm market-wide result. I’m particularly unsure whether to use the original asking price or the final asking price before sale. Those produce different interpretations when a listing has been reduced.
 
Use both if you can. Original ask to sold price shows the seller’s full adjustment; final ask to sold price says more about the last negotiation. A 0.8% gap is hard to interpret without knowing which one it is, and December’s lower transaction volume may make the result sensitive to a handful of deals.
 
I’d also separate warehouses from homes needing work before drawing a buyer-sentiment conclusion. Presentation matters in both, but they attract different buyers and have different reasons for delay. Is the 61-day figure based on completed warehouse sales, listings that went under contract, or properties removed from the market? Those are not interchangeable outcomes.
 
I’m not convinced seasonality is the main explanation. If renovated or well-presented properties continue moving while projects linger, that could reflect buyers putting a higher value on certainty over renovation cost and timing. But the comparison needs neighbourhood, price band and property type controls; a citywide average can hide opposite movements within Chicago.
 
That may be true, but December alone cannot distinguish a preference shift from the usual year-end mix. I would compare the same measures with earlier months and December in prior years, then note when the figures were downloaded. Sold records can arrive or be revised later, so the apparent gap may change without the underlying market changing.
 
Policy timing is another possible confounder, though I would not assign an effect without aligned dates. Expectations about financing, taxes or other policy changes can alter when people list or close. A practical table could include listing date, original and final ask, sold price, close date, property type, neighbourhood and condition. Then compare medians rather than relying only on one headline average.
 
Agreed on tracking revisions, but I’d be cautious about condition labels. “Needs work” is subjective and can become a catch-all for poor pricing, awkward layout or weak marketing. Emma, try matching similar properties first, then see whether the 61-day pattern survives. If it disappears after matching, selectivity may not be the main story.
 
The most useful next step would be to publish the sample count behind each figure, even if the sample is small. Show completed transactions separately from active, pending, withdrawn and expired listings. For the 0.8%, label the calculation explicitly and perhaps report both price gaps Nadia described. That would let readers judge whether December 2024 marks a shift or simply a noisy snapshot.
 
Back
Top