Choosing renovation planning support for a ZAR 16.2m Cape Town warehouse

KaiNorth

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
I’m 49 days into comparing renovation planning services for a Cape Town warehouse priced around ZAR 16,200,000, and the scopes still seem impossible to compare. Some providers include negotiation and document coordination through closing; others make an introduction and step away.

Should I appoint one firm across the acquisition and renovation planning, or separate those roles? I want a written scope covering response times, fees and exclusions, local input, deliverables, and one accountable person between offer and closing. What evidence would show that a provider can actually manage this rather than simply refer work elsewhere?
 
At that value, I would compare deliverables rather than the service label. Ask for a site-assessment plan, preliminary cost and timing assumptions, approval dependencies, named responsibilities, meeting frequency, document register, and a process for approving extra fees. Negotiation and closing coordination should be separately stated if included.

One missing fact: are the 49 days already elapsed, or are they the remaining period before closing? That changes what can realistically be investigated and priced.
 
I’d go further than Jack on accountability. A promised response time is weak unless the proposal names who responds, who can make decisions, and what happens if that person is unavailable.

Before appointing anyone, request sample redacted deliverables and independently confirm who will provide Cape Town-specific input on the warehouse’s intended use, condition and approval needs. Also require a clean exit arrangement: current files, assumptions, quotations and correspondence should be handed over if the appointment ends. That limits the cash and time lost if the service proves too narrow.
 
Back
Top