Closing-cost blind spots on a SAR 1,650,000 country home in Riyadh

StrongInk

Homeowner
I’m building a checklist for a country home in Riyadh priced around SAR 1,650,000. I have transfer tax, registration, and possible legal or notary fees on it, but I’m less clear about ownership restrictions, recurring property charges, and costs tied to the ownership structure.

The people I’ve asked offline are split, and the meeting minutes mention the legal/notary work three times without giving a firm estimate. What commonly falls outside the first quote? I’m mainly after questions to take to a licensed local professional, including capital-gains treatment, residency, and inheritance planning.
 
I’d separate eligibility from closing costs. First ask whether your proposed ownership arrangement is permitted for that exact property and location, and whether any approval or different structure is required. Only then price the transaction.

For each transfer, registration, legal, and notary item, request the amount or calculation basis in writing, who receives it, who normally pays it, and whether tax is included. “Professional fees” as one combined line is where misunderstandings start.
 
What does “country home” include here: just a registered house and parcel, or additional land, shared access, maintenance, or utilities? Those details may produce recurring charges that are not government property charges at all.

I would ask for the property’s title and charge history, plus evidence of any regular community or maintenance payments. Also, don’t assume residency status and permission to own are the same question; have the local adviser address each separately.
 
That distinction helps. My list currently mixes one-time closing amounts, ownership eligibility, and future liabilities, so the total is not meaningful yet.

I’ll split it into: sums due before transfer, recurring charges after completion, and later-event issues such as sale or inheritance. I’ll also ask for separate written figures for registration and legal/notary work rather than accepting the repeated wording in the minutes.
 
I’d go one step further and resist turning capital gains or inheritance into estimated closing-cost percentages. They are scenario questions, and the answer may depend on the eventual seller, owner, residency position, ownership structure, and rules applying at that future date.

Give the Saudi adviser three concrete scenarios: purchase now, annual ownership, and later sale or succession. Ask what facts they still need before answering each one. That should expose uncertainty more usefully than requesting an “all-in” number too early.
 
Back
Top