Closing-cost gaps on CLP 1,208,000,000 student housing in Santiago

full_story

First-time buyer
Established
I’m about to reply on a student-housing property in Santiago priced at CLP 1,208,000,000. Before deciding whether to proceed, I want a realistic acquisition and first-year ownership budget rather than a headline percentage.

My draft covers possible transfer tax, notary and legal work, registration, ownership restrictions and annual property charges. I also need to understand how the ownership structure could affect residency, eventual capital gains and inheritance planning. What commonly sits outside the first estimate, and which questions should I put to licensed Chilean advisers?
 
Ask for a line-by-line estimate divided into buyer costs, seller costs, one-off costs and recurring charges. For every tax or fee, have them state what amount it is calculated on and whether it changes with the acquisition structure. Also request the latest annual charge notices and confirmation of who clears any outstanding balances at completion.
 
Are you buying the real estate directly, acquiring an entity that owns it, or still comparing those routes? Also, is financing involved and is the student housing already operating? Without those details, an adviser could produce a perfectly tidy estimate for the wrong transaction.
 
I would challenge the assumption that transfer tax is automatically an “obvious” line item. The first question should be whether it applies to this specific transaction, on what basis and at what stage. The same caution applies to notary and registration costs: ask for separate scenarios rather than one blended closing-cost figure.
 
Anders’ financing question matters because lender-related work could be absent from a cash-purchase estimate. I’d use three columns: amount known now, amount requiring a quote, and contingent amount. Put registration, notary work, legal diligence, financing work, current annual charges and any ownership-structure work on separate rows so omissions remain visible.
 
Don’t leave residency and succession questions until after choosing the buyer. Ask whether the purchaser’s residency or entity type changes eligibility, reporting, annual treatment or the eventual sale analysis. For inheritance planning, the useful question is not simply “what tax applies?” but how this proposed form of ownership would be handled for the intended heirs, including whether changing it later would carry consequences.
 
One more practical request: get the acquisition budget and the exit assumptions in different schedules. Capital-gains treatment is not a closing invoice, but it may affect the structure selected now. The adviser should identify which facts are still unknown rather than quietly assuming residency, holding period or seller status.
 
I partly disagree with putting inheritance and capital gains into the closing-cost total. They belong in the decision, but mixing future planning with cash required at completion can make the number less useful. I’d maintain three totals: completion cash, first-year recurring costs and longer-term tax or succession planning.
 
That separation makes sense. My point was only that the longer-term workstream needs to run before the ownership decision is fixed. A clean checklist could therefore have dependencies: purchaser and structure first, then transaction charges, then recurring ownership costs, followed by exit and inheritance questions.
 
The two missing facts are now quite specific: direct property purchase versus entity acquisition, and cash versus financed. I’d send those to the adviser with the CLP 1,208,000,000 price and ask for scenario-based estimates, supporting assumptions, responsibility for outstanding annual charges, and explicit confirmation of any ownership restrictions. Do you already know the proposed buyer and whether the price includes the operating student-housing business or only the real estate?
 
Back
Top