I have compared the headline purchase costs for a 1,180 sq ft coastal home and a similarly priced country home in London, but the longer-term exposure is still hard to judge. The coastal property looks easier to manage; the country option offers more independence but may produce larger bills at unpredictable intervals.
I am now looking beyond price at energy use, insurance, management time and how easily either property could be resold. Rental demand and periods without a tenant may matter as well. What records, surveys and running-cost figures would you request before buying, especially to uncover expenses that tend to emerge only after the first year?
I am now looking beyond price at energy use, insurance, management time and how easily either property could be resold. Rental demand and periods without a tenant may matter as well. What records, surveys and running-cost figures would you request before buying, especially to uncover expenses that tend to emerge only after the first year?