Comparing a 2.88% 30-year fixed mortgage for a €906,200 Berlin purchase

GroundedWire

First-time buyer
I’m deciding whether to take a 2.88% quote with a 30-year fixed period for a property purchase around €906,200 in Berlin. The headline rate looks attractive, but arrangement fees and the loan-to-value tier make the overall comparison much less obvious.

For recent German mortgage comparisons, what did you put most weight on: APR, interest over the fixed period, or total cash paid including fees? I’m also looking at portability and early-repayment wording, since either could matter if plans change.
 
I’d use APR only as the first filter, then compare total cash over the period you realistically expect to keep the loan. A 30-year calculation can make small differences look enormous even if you might sell or refinance earlier. Put every lender on the same loan amount, repayment schedule and assumed exit date, then add all fees payable under that scenario.
 
One missing detail: is €906,200 the purchase price or the actual amount borrowed? The loan-to-value tier cannot be compared properly without the equity contribution. Also, does “30 years” definitely mean the interest is fixed for all 30 years, rather than a repayment projection with a shorter fixed-rate period? That distinction changes the refinance and rate-reset risk completely.
 
€906,200 is the approximate purchase price, not necessarily the loan principal, and the quote does describe a 30-year fixed period. The LTV point is exactly where my comparison became messy.

I’m going back to the lenders with one identical principal and repayment assumption. I’ll ask each for costs at a few possible exit dates as well, rather than treating the full 30 years as the only outcome.
 
I would not automatically choose the lowest projected cash cost. Fixing for 30 years has value if it protects monthly affordability, and that value will not appear cleanly in a comparison against a shorter fix that assumes a favourable refinance rate.

The counterpoint is flexibility: if portability is restricted or early repayment becomes expensive, the long fix may be poor value for someone likely to move. Contract wording matters more here than the headline percentage.
 
A simple table should settle most of this. Use identical principal, repayment and start date, then list monthly payment, upfront fees, balance remaining, and total cash paid at several plausible exit dates plus year 30. Keep portability and early-repayment terms in separate columns rather than trying to convert uncertain future events into one number.

I’d also test whether crossing the next LTV tier with more equity saves enough interest and fees to justify tying up that cash. That gives you both the cost comparison and the affordability trade-off.
 
Back
Top