Comparing a 2.99% one-year fixed quote on a Toronto purchase

sage_glass

Property investor
A cheap first year could be a poor deal if the renewal payment becomes unaffordable or I need to leave early. I have been quoted 2.99% fixed for one year on a Toronto purchase of about C$1,357,000. A lower rate was advertised, but my loan-to-value band and the fees affect what I would actually pay.

For comparing lenders, should I focus on the cash spent during that single year, the interest portion, or APR? I plan to compare the balance remaining at renewal as well as the monthly payment under a higher reset rate. Portability, fee treatment and early-repayment terms also matter because I may have to move or refinance sooner than planned.
 
For a one-year term, I would compare the total cost over that same year: interest, mandatory fees and any fee added to the mortgage, plus the remaining balance at renewal. APR can be a useful cross-check, but only when every quote uses comparable assumptions. Also run the payment at a higher renewal rate; the first-year price is only half the decision.
 
What down payment are you using, and does it place you close to the boundary between loan-to-value tiers? A modest change in the mortgage amount could affect which quote applies. I would also ask whether the arrangement fee is paid upfront or added to the loan, since financing it changes both the starting balance and interest cost.
 
I would not reduce portability to a yes-or-no feature. The useful details are whether it applies to this exact product, what happens if the new property needs a larger mortgage, and whether the timing would realistically work. Likewise, get the early-repayment calculation in writing rather than assuming every one-year fixed offer handles it similarly.
 
Lucia’s comparison period makes sense, but include cash flow as a separate column. Two offers can have similar first-year total costs while producing different monthly payments or balances at renewal. Use your actual mortgage principal after the down payment, not the C$1,357,000 purchase price, and apply each lender’s fee treatment exactly as quoted.
 
My caveat is that 2.99% should not decide the term by itself. A one-year fixed rate transfers the uncertainty to next year, when refinancing assumptions, qualification and the available rates may all be different. If the budget only works at the initial payment, the reset risk matters more than a small saving in year one.
 
I would ask each lender for the same five figures: funds advanced, upfront fees, monthly payment, balance after 12 months and the cost of leaving early at several points during the year. Then add notes for portability and the renewal or refinance assumptions. That should expose whether the lower advertised rate is genuinely cheaper or merely shifts cost elsewhere.
 
Back
Top