The lowest headline offer stopped looking cheapest once I compared the fee schedule and loan-to-value band. My current quote is 3.11% fixed for three years on a New York purchase of roughly $945,000.
For that time horizon, should I rank lenders by total cash paid through month 36 and the balance still outstanding, while using APR mainly to flag heavy fees? I also need to test what happens if I refinance after three years, sell earlier or move the mortgage. For example, an early-repayment charge could outweigh a small monthly saving. Monthly affordability matters, but I do not want portability wording or optimistic refinance assumptions to hide the less reversible costs.
For that time horizon, should I rank lenders by total cash paid through month 36 and the balance still outstanding, while using APR mainly to flag heavy fees? I also need to test what happens if I refinance after three years, sell earlier or move the mortgage. For example, an early-repayment charge could outweigh a small monthly saving. Monthly affordability matters, but I do not want portability wording or optimistic refinance assumptions to hide the less reversible costs.