even_canvas
First-time buyer
I want a mortgage that remains sensible if I refinance after two years, but the fees and flexibility make the cheapest-looking rate difficult to identify. The purchase under consideration in Berlin is around €717,600, and one offer fixes the rate at 3.12% for 2 years.
I am inclined to compare the cash paid over that same period plus the balance left at the end, rather than rely on APR alone. Is that too narrow? An expensive arrangement charge comes with stronger overpayment options on one quote, so its value depends on whether I will actually repay extra. Portability, early-repayment costs and the assumptions used for refinancing could matter more than a small rate difference. How would you put those features into one comparison without pretending their future value is certain?
I am inclined to compare the cash paid over that same period plus the balance left at the end, rather than rely on APR alone. Is that too narrow? An expensive arrangement charge comes with stronger overpayment options on one quote, so its value depends on whether I will actually repay extra. Portability, early-repayment costs and the assumptions used for refinancing could matter more than a small rate difference. How would you put those features into one comparison without pretending their future value is certain?