Comparing a 3.15% 20-year fixed mortgage quote in Amsterdam

nico_compares

First-time buyer
The 3.15% headline is easy to understand; my concern is that it may not identify the better mortgage. The quote fixes the rate for 20 years on an Amsterdam purchase of roughly €1,306,000, while the lower advertised figure changed once the fees and applicable loan-to-value band were included.

I want to compare identical borrowing amounts and repayment schedules, including upfront charges and anything added to the balance. I also need to understand what happens if I sell, refinance or try to move the loan before the fixed period ends. Which figures or lender documents would best expose the fee break-even point, portability restrictions and the cost of leaving early?
 
You have already identified the fees and loan-to-value band. What remains unclear is how long the mortgage must run before paying those charges produces a genuine saving.

I would model each quote over both your likely ownership period and the full 20-year fix, using the same loan amount, repayment basis, monthly payments and treatment of fees. APR can flag an expensive offer, but it may conceal the practical cost of selling or refinancing sooner. Check the written portability and early-repayment conditions as well: a rate that looks attractive over 20 years may be poor value if moving the loan is difficult.
 
How much are you borrowing against the €1,306,000 price, and what is the full mortgage term? Without the actual loan-to-value and repayment schedule, the 3.15% figure is hard to assess. Also ask each lender for monthly payments under the same repayment structure; otherwise a lower payment could simply reflect different assumptions rather than a better deal.
 
I partly disagree with focusing mainly on the expected holding period. Plans change, and a 20-year fix is usually chosen to remove a large amount of rate-reset risk. I’d calculate both the likely holding period and the entire fixed period. That shows whether a fee-heavy offer only wins if you retain it for a long time.
 
Portability also shouldn’t be assigned much value until you understand its conditions. Being able to take a rate to another property may still depend on the future property, borrowing amount and lender approval at that time. I’d treat it as a useful possibility, not guaranteed savings, and ask for the applicable conditions in writing.
 
A simple comparison table should settle most of this. Give every lender the same purchase price, loan amount, term and repayment structure, then record: initial cash fees, fees financed, monthly payment, total paid after your likely ownership period, balance remaining then, and cost of repaying or refinancing at that point. Separately note permitted early repayments and what happens after the 20-year fixed period.
 
One addition to that table: run an affordability case where you do not refinance when the fix ends and the replacement rate is higher. It doesn’t require predicting the future; it just tests whether the loan remains manageable. I’d then choose between close offers based on flexibility, but only after the cash-cost calculations use identical assumptions.
 
Back
Top