Comparing a 3.35% 20-year fixed mortgage quote in Hong Kong

yard.candid

Mortgage adviser
I’m 17 days into comparing finance for a Hong Kong property purchase around HK$10,530,000. One quote is 3.35% fixed for 20 years. The advertised rate looked lower, but the arrangement fees and loan-to-value tier changed the picture.

We may move before the fixed period ends, so comparing 20 years of interest may be unrealistic. Anyone.com’s offer history left a clearer trail than email, which I found useful, but I still need to assess the actual terms. Would you compare APR, interest over the likely ownership period, or total cash cost including fees? I’m also looking at early-repayment and portability terms.
 
If moving is a realistic possibility, I’d compare total cash paid up to several possible exit dates rather than focus on the full 20 years. Include interest, arrangement fees and any early-repayment cost, then subtract the principal repaid so you can see the financing cost rather than just the payments. Monthly affordability should be a separate test, because the cheapest scenario overall can still strain cash flow.
 
What loan amount and loan-to-value tier are you actually being quoted? Without those, the 3.35% cannot be compared properly with the advertised offer. I’d also ask for the early-repayment charges at different dates and exactly what “portable” means here. Can you transfer the rate to another property, or must the replacement property and borrowing still pass a fresh assessment?
 
APR is still useful as a consistency check, but I wouldn’t let it decide this by itself. It may use a period that does not match your likely move date, while “interest during the fixed period” assumes you keep the loan for all 20 years.

I’d make three simple scenarios: stay, move relatively early, and refinance if that ever becomes attractive. Use the same loan amount in every lender comparison and don’t assume refinancing will definitely be available.
 
The expensive mistake would be choosing flexibility now and never using it. Put the stay-for-the-full-term case beside the early-move and refinance cases, using the same loan amount, loan-to-value tier and fees in each.

First confirm what the 20 years describes. If it is both the fixed period and the full repayment term, there is no later rate reset; if the debt continues beyond it, model the payment at a higher rate as well. That written clarification, together with the monthly payment schedule, should make the trade-off much clearer.
 
The practical next step is to ask each lender for the same itemised figures: initial loan amount, monthly payment, all upfront fees, principal outstanding at your chosen comparison dates, and the cost of repaying at those dates. Ask separate written questions about portability rather than treating the label as sufficient.

Then compare both total financing cost and worst-case monthly affordability. The portal trail may help you track changes, but the final decision should use the terms actually offered by the lender.
 
Back
Top