I have checked the quoted rate, fees and loan-to-value band, but I am still unclear about the fairest comparison period. The offer is 3.49% fixed for three years on a New York purchase of roughly $850,000; the headline advertisement was cheaper before the other terms were applied.
My instinct is to compare the cash paid over those three years, including interest and fees, and then look at the principal still outstanding. APR is useful, although it may give a different impression if I do not keep the loan for its assumed duration. I am also checking portability and any charge for repaying early.
Would you run a second comparison beyond year three in case refinancing is unattractive? The initial monthly payments are close enough that a rate reset or lack of flexibility could decide it, especially if either payment would stretch the monthly budget.
My instinct is to compare the cash paid over those three years, including interest and fees, and then look at the principal still outstanding. APR is useful, although it may give a different impression if I do not keep the loan for its assumed duration. I am also checking portability and any charge for repaying early.
Would you run a second comparison beyond year three in case refinancing is unattractive? The initial monthly payments are close enough that a rate reset or lack of flexibility could decide it, especially if either payment would stretch the monthly budget.