Comparing a 3.63% three-year fixed mortgage quote near Osaka

lena.voss

First-time buyer
Established
3.63% for three years is the condition driving this comparison. The quote covers a purchase near Osaka at roughly ¥113,200,000, but fees and the lender’s loan-to-value band mean the headline figure does not show what the first three years will actually cost.

I am thinking of comparing two outcomes. If I keep the loan beyond year three, I need the payments, fees, remaining principal and reset-rate method. If I move or refinance, early-repayment charges and genuine portability matter more. Is that a better decision rule than relying mainly on APR? I also want to test monthly affordability after the fixed term rather than assume the next rate or refinancing offer will be favourable.
 
For a three-year fix, I would compare total cash paid over those three years plus the remaining principal balance at the end. Use the same loan amount, repayment schedule and fee treatment for every lender. APR can be useful, but it may obscure a large upfront fee if its calculation assumes you retain the mortgage much longer than three years.
 
Are the arrangement fees paid in cash or added to the loan? That changes both your opening cost and the interest calculation. I would also ask what rate applies after year three, how that rate is determined, and whether the quoted loan-to-value tier is based on the purchase price or the lender's valuation.
 
I would not limit the comparison to the fixed-period cash cost. A cheap first three years can still be the worse offer if the reset terms are unattractive or refinancing is assumed without accounting for another round of fees. Compare at least two paths: keeping the mortgage after the reset and refinancing at the end of year three.
 
That is fair, although projecting far beyond three years can create false precision because the future rate is unknown. I would keep jack.bakker's three-year cost as the clean comparison, then add AmeliaRichardson's two scenarios separately. The key is not to bury an uncertain refinance assumption inside one apparently exact total.
 
On portability, ask what it means in the actual contract rather than relying on the label. Does a move require a new affordability assessment, a fresh property valuation or a change in loan-to-value pricing? Also get the early-repayment cost for both partial and full repayment, including whether the treatment changes during or after the fixed period.
 
Monthly affordability deserves its own test. Work out the payment at 3.63%, then test a meaningfully higher rate after year three while allowing for the cash arrangement fee. I would request a side-by-side illustration from each lender showing monthly payments, all initial fees, balance after 36 months, reset terms and repayment charges. That should make the advertised-rate comparison much less distracting.
 
Back
Top