Comparing a 3.67% fixed mortgage quote in France

hugo.linden

First-time buyer
Established
I’m comparing mortgage offers for a property purchase around €243,800 in Paris. One quote is 3.67% fixed for 20 years. Its advertised rate initially looked lower, but the arrangement fee and loan-to-value tier make it less straightforward; another option has a painful fee but much better overpayment terms.

For recent financing in France, what did you compare: APR, interest over the expected holding period, or total cash cost including fees? I’m also looking at monthly affordability, portability and early-repayment terms rather than assuming I will keep the same loan for all 20 years.
 
I’d compare total cash outlay over the period you realistically expect to keep the mortgage, while using APR as a consistency check. A full 20-year comparison can favour the lower rate even if you may sell or refinance much earlier; equally, assuming an easy refinance could understate future rate risk.

How large is the fee difference, and does either offer require a different loan-to-value tier? Those two figures could outweigh a modest rate gap. I’d also ask each lender for matching repayment illustrations at the same loan amount and term, including the cost of your likely overpayments and an early exit.
 
Back
Top