I would prefer the certainty of a fixed payment, but I do not want to pay heavily upfront just to make the monthly figure look attractive. One lender has quoted 3.70% fixed for 30 years on a New York purchase of around $205,000. Its fees and the applicable loan-to-value band make it less obviously competitive than the rate suggests.
APR gives one comparison, although keeping the mortgage for the full 30 years seems unlikely. Would you also calculate interest and fees over several realistic ownership periods, without assuming that refinancing will definitely be available?
I am checking the early-repayment conditions and whether portability offers anything useful in practice. Monthly affordability remains important, but I would rather assess that separately from the total cost so a smaller payment does not disguise a dearer loan.
APR gives one comparison, although keeping the mortgage for the full 30 years seems unlikely. Would you also calculate interest and fees over several realistic ownership periods, without assuming that refinancing will definitely be available?
I am checking the early-repayment conditions and whether portability offers anything useful in practice. Monthly affordability remains important, but I would rather assess that separately from the total cost so a smaller payment does not disguise a dearer loan.