I want a mortgage comparison that reflects what I will really pay, but the fees and loan-to-value tier are making the headline rates misleading. The purchase is around ¥37,480,000 for a two-bedroom property in Tokyo, and one quote is 3.86% with a stated 20-year fixed period.
Should I compare the offers over the likely time I will hold the loan, over the full 20 years, or both? I am looking at payments, upfront charges, the balance at each comparison date and any cost of repaying early, with APR as a cross-check. I also need to establish whether 20 years is the complete term or only the fixed portion, and whether portability has any practical value if I move or refinance.
Should I compare the offers over the likely time I will hold the loan, over the full 20 years, or both? I am looking at payments, upfront charges, the balance at each comparison date and any cost of repaying early, with APR as a cross-check. I also need to establish whether 20 years is the complete term or only the fixed portion, and whether portability has any practical value if I move or refinance.