Comparing a 4.06% 20-year fixed mortgage quote in Seoul

ames_wilde

Homeowner
I need to make a decision soon. The offer is 4.06% fixed for 20 years on a Seoul purchase priced around ₩869,400,000, but the fees and the loan-to-value band make the headline rate less useful than I expected.

I’m trying to compare the payment and overall outlay at several possible exit dates, including a scenario where refinancing is unavailable. What figures would you give the most weight to? I also need to check how early repayment works, whether the loan can move with me, and whether the monthly payment leaves enough breathing room.
 
The possibility of moving early is actually what would stop me relying too heavily on a single full-term cost figure. A 20-year fix may still be worth paying for if the monthly amount is comfortable without future refinancing and the portability terms are genuinely usable.

I would split the decision in two. If you expect to keep the property and value payment certainty, test the loan against your budget for the whole fixed period. If a move is reasonably likely, compare the fees and repayment charges at several earlier dates; in that case, a cheaper or more flexible product could beat the lowest-looking long-term total.
 
One missing figure is the actual loan amount or loan-to-value ratio. On a purchase of ₩869,400,000, the same fee can look minor or significant depending on how much you borrow. Also, are you genuinely expecting to stay for 20 years, or is a move within five to ten years plausible? That changes the value of portability considerably.
 
That’s the part I’m still pinning down. I don’t want to post the loan amount until the lender confirms the final loan-to-value tier, because that tier affected the quote. A move before 20 years is possible, so I’ll ask for cost illustrations at several exit points rather than relying only on the full-term total. I’ll also request the portability and early-repayment wording in writing.
 
I’d be cautious about giving portability too much value. Even if the loan is described as portable, a future move may still depend on the lender accepting the new property and your circumstances at that time. Treat it as potentially useful, not guaranteed savings. The safer affordability test is whether 4.06% works with your current budget without assuming a refinance.
 
Make a simple lender-by-lender table with: quoted rate, final loan-to-value tier, monthly payment, all upfront fees, early-repayment terms, portability conditions, and total cash paid at your chosen exit dates. Then run a separate scenario for what happens after any fixed period or if refinancing is unavailable. That should expose whether the lower advertised rate is actually cheaper for your likely timeline.
 
Back
Top