Comparing a 4.18% 10-year fixed mortgage quote on a $615,000 New York purchase

SharpBridge

Property investor
The quote with the lower headline rate did not produce the lower cost once I used the correct fees and loan-to-value band. That changed how I’m looking at the two illustrations.

The purchase price is around $615,000 in New York, and one option is fixed at 4.18% for 10 years. The lenders have not used identical assumptions, so an APR comparison by itself may be misleading. Should I recalculate both offers using the same loan amount and likely holding periods, including all required charges and the balance remaining at each exit date?

Monthly affordability matters as well. I may move or refinance before year ten, so I want to compare early-exit terms and establish what portability actually permits. I also plan to model the rate-reset outcome rather than assume refinancing will be available on favourable terms.
 
Compare both offers over the same period and using the same loan amount. I’d calculate payments plus all upfront and ongoing fees for the years you realistically expect to keep the mortgage, then subtract any remaining balance difference. APR is useful, but it can obscure the comparison if the illustrations assume different timelines.

What loan-to-value tier are you in, and how likely is a sale or refinance before year ten? Those answers could make the early-repayment terms more important than a small rate difference.
 
I’d add a caveat: don’t let the lowest projected 10-year cost win automatically. If one payment leaves too little monthly breathing room, its paper advantage may not be worthwhile. Also compare what happens after the fixed period rather than assuming an easy refinance; future rates and eligibility are unknown. Portability may help if you move, but only if the actual terms fit the next purchase, so I’d ask each lender to explain that scenario using identical assumptions.
 
Back
Top