The 4.24% quote is the figure driving my comparison: it is fixed for 15 years on a purchase around $255,000 near Chicago. Once I matched the offer to the relevant loan-to-value tier and added the lender’s arrangement charges, the apparent advantage became much smaller.
I’m now comparing the cash due upfront, monthly payment, interest over realistic holding periods and remaining balance. I also need to understand whether the loan can move with me, what early repayment would cost, and whether “15 years fixed” means the entire mortgage term or a rate change later. Which of those would you give the most weight when two offers are close?
I’m now comparing the cash due upfront, monthly payment, interest over realistic holding periods and remaining balance. I also need to understand whether the loan can move with me, what early repayment would cost, and whether “15 years fixed” means the entire mortgage term or a rate change later. Which of those would you give the most weight when two offers are close?