Comparing a 4.42% 20-year fixed mortgage quote in Madrid

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
I want a stable monthly payment for the period I expect to own the Madrid property, but the headline rate is making the offers harder rather than easier to compare. One quote is 4.42% fixed for 20 years on a purchase of about €662,400; its fees and loan-to-value pricing make it less attractive than the initial advertisement suggested.

Should I compare APR first and then calculate the cash paid over my likely holding period, including upfront charges and the balance remaining at the end? I am also checking whether the monthly payment is comfortable without relying on a future refinance. Portability and early-repayment terms seem important, but I am unsure how much weight to give them unless I define when I might sell or repay.
 
APR is a useful first filter, but I’d make the final comparison using total cash paid over the period you realistically expect to keep the loan. Include upfront fees, monthly payments and any known closing cost at that point. Total interest alone can mislead if the offers have different fees or repayment schedules.
 
What loan amount and loan-to-value tier produced the 4.42%? The €662,400 purchase price does not show how much you are borrowing. Also, are the arrangement fees paid upfront or added to the balance, and is 20 years the whole mortgage term or only the fixed period? Those details could change every comparison.
 
I’d be cautious about focusing mainly on an expected holding period. Plans to sell or refinance are uncertain, so that approach can make a fee-heavy offer look better or worse based on a guess. Compare the full contractual payment path first, then run separate exit scenarios. If the mortgage continues after year 20, the reset terms and resulting payment risk matter as much as today’s fixed rate.
 
That’s fair, although the full-term figure can also give false precision if the later rate is unknown. I’d keep three columns: cost to a plausible move date, cost through the fixed period, and a stressed payment after any reset. The best offer on total cost is not necessarily the safest one if its monthly payment leaves no room for ordinary expenses.
 
A simple spreadsheet should settle most of this. Use the same loan amount and completion date for every lender, then enter: cash fees at the start, monthly payments, remaining balance at chosen comparison dates, and any early-repayment charge shown in each offer. Run it at several dates rather than assuming one refinance year. I would keep portability outside the numerical score until the lender explains in writing what conditions apply.
 
On portability, ask what actually happens if the next property or loan-to-value does not meet the lender’s requirements. A label saying the mortgage is portable does not by itself tell you whether the rate, loan amount or approval will carry over. For early repayment, I’d request worked examples for a partial overpayment and a full repayment at a few different points.
 
One more comparison that may help: calculate how long any upfront arrangement fee takes to recover through a lower monthly payment. If the break-even point comes after a likely move or refinance, the lower headline rate may not be the cheaper choice. If it comes early and the payment is comfortably affordable, the fee may be easier to justify.
 
Back
Top